Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Generosity

People continue to amaze me. We just had a proposal on Donorschoose filled and I'm so excited to get back from break and tell the kids. There were 20 little donations that added up to enough to complete the project-someone must have posted it somewhere to be getting the attention it did. The very exciting part is it's all art supplies to foster that creativity I just believe is so important, but are also so expensive: paints, little hardcover books the kids can use to become authors, tissue paper, googly eyes (always a crowd pleaser), etc. We are going to be making much more exciting projects this spring. I just think it's a wonderful example that people are setting for these kiddos. What a generous gift!

2 comments :

  1. I just found your blog and oh how I wish you were my daughter's teacher! She's in first grade and would really benefit from your activities.

    I used to teach 2nd grade, but now I am staying home. Your ideas and lessons are very much in line with what almost all of the teachers in my school worked hard to produce (not just gifted). However, where we live now and where my daughter goes to school...sigh. Her teachers have told me they just don't know what to do with her. And while her first grade teacher is about as sweet as they come in a lot of ways, she just doesn't plan for children like my daughter.

    I've considered pulling her out to homeschool, but me being one that absolutely adores school...I'm having a hard time making that decision. My daughter would be content either way, which makes it hard as well. So, until I choose definitively one way or the other, I'll just continue looking for things I can do with her (and my sons) at home when we have the time.

    In our state, children aren't tested for gifted until mid 2nd grade and can't receive gifted services until 3rd...not that she's gifted because I don't know that. But I do know that she's very special.

    Anyway, I look forward to reading your blog more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thank you so much! It means a lot to me.

    I always hear from people that identifying them as Gifted in Early Childhood is too early. But it's examples like this one that make me support it. The earlier they can be identified the earlier teachers are required to serve them and the better foundation they can get in critical thinking skills, etc. And I agree, all children can benefit from those kinds of activities. I taught the same way when I had a "regular" Kinder class.

    I think it's wonderful you are advocating for your kiddos and keeping them challenged at home regardless of the outcome of that tough decision you have to make.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete