Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Comparing Perspectives

This is something we've been doing a lot of in class lately and I like it because I think it really makes the kiddos have to think twice as much. Some stories we compared the perspective of a character in the beginning of the story and compared it to the end. Our running theme of our chapter books this year has been journeys-so we compare the changes from beginning to end. We read Debbie Allen's Dancing In the Wings based on her childhood and the kids wrote about how the dancer viewed herself before and after that confidence kicked in.

This one was from one of my favorite stories: The Lorax. We compared descriptions of the Lorax from the Onceler's perspective as well as that of the trees. They made double-bubble maps and then wrote about why they thought the points of view were so different. Not the best pics, I know, but here are some examples of what they came up with.

2 comments :

  1. I love this idea! I will remember it for next year, especially since they are taking away GT in grades K - 2 in my district and I already know I will have 2 GT students (at least!) I love all of your ideas and appreciate you sharing them!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I liked how I could actually see their little brain gears turning trying to complete it.

    I'm sorry to hear they are taking away the GT program-it's happening here with us as well. One way to save money (sigh).

    ReplyDelete