Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Books for the 1st Week of School

So usually I'm posting pics of what my kids do in class--that might prove difficult right now-being July and all. One of my all-time favorite things to do is make lists. I've been doing since I was a kid. I'm going to share a few education-related top 10 lists with you:

Top 10 Favorite Books to Use the 1st Week of School:

1) Chrysanthemum-lends itself to so many activities using their names, which is a big 1st objective in Kinder.

2) A Place Called Kindergarten-my Mom found this book for us and I have read it every year since, the farm animals don't know where their boy went because they never heard of this "Kindergarten" place.

3) Molly Lou Melon-great advice on being yourself. Someone says she sounds like a duck--Molly's response: "Quack!". Love it.

4) David Goes to School-the kids love this one and believe me you always have a "David"! :)

5) Officer Buckle and Gloria-teamwork and the reasons for rules covered in on swoop.

6) I Am Absolutely Too Small for School-the kids are already familiar with Charlie and Lola

7) Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten-the kids are shocked you actually have to get a classroom ready for them-in their minds it comes out of the box that way.

8) Have You Filled A Bucket Today-it amazed me how much the kids warmed up to this concept this year. We'd even read stories and the they would say "she wasn't filling his bucket". One of my students was talking about a teacher they wanted to have next year who is kind of known for being a bit of a drill sergeant. When I asked why she wanted to be in that class the little girl responded "I don't think many people fill her bucket, I could do that every day!". Awwww. I will use it every year.

9) Hooway for Wodney Wat-a story about a child with a speech impediment and a class bully-great discussion to be had about how to treat each other in class-even if we're a little different.

10) Miss Nelson is Missing-Love this story. I've always wanted to dress up as Viola Swamp one day and pretend to be their substitute-just to see what happens.



No comments :

Post a Comment