Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Owl Art

I am a big proponent of using art in the classroom. First of all, I think it's a great way to teach students how to think creatively, which can then translate into other areas like writing. And I also think it's a great way to reach those students lack confidence in other academic areas. True art, I believe is open-ended. I never tell them what colors to use or that their owls have to have 2 eyes (you'll see what I mean in a minute). For a science lesson, yes, you are recording and documenting-things should be realistic. But when it comes to art in my class-the sky is the limit--owls even carry purses! If you couldn't tell already, I am not a cut-and-paste kind of gal\:) I absolutely love that they are all unique and that it is truly their vision.




He said it was an "owl-clops". :)













This is by one of my little divas--can you tell?







I love these web cam feeds. It says the owl one is no longer live-but it does have highlights. (Sometimes I will put the puppies or kitten ones on just to de-stress a little bit! :) http://explore.org     My Kinder group that are now 4th Graders and I watched an owl named Molly hatch her little owlets and I can't wait to share with them that there was actually a book written about her-it seems to be out of print, but I bought a used copy. 


They still talk about Molly the Owl! Since they no longer get much experience with nature, for the most part, I think it's a great way to bring nature to them.





2 comments :