Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2016

My New Picture Book Finds

I do a book club with my students and every year we are given a new list of books. I am driving my library crazy requesting all of them to read this summer so I can prepare for this upcoming school year! Many of them are Bluebonnet nominees. Anyway, these are my favorites so far:


This book shows how one dessert (Blackberry Fool) was made 200 years ago, 100 years ago and today. Technology is one of our Social Studies objectives and I can totally see this being a perfect way to show how new tools make things easier. I also foresee us having to actually make whipped cream the old-fashioned way with elbow grease to show them how different it actually was.


I am not a huge history buff or anything, but I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person when it comes to knowing about big events. I can't believe I never heard this story before! I knew mesmerized was named after a person, but I didn't know Ben Franklin got involved in debunking this "magician's" mesmerizing cure.


This book is something the kids who take public transportation can relate to as well as being a great model for positive thinking! I really enjoyed it and can't wait to share it with my kiddos next fall.




No comments :

Post a Comment