Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

One Little Word with My Kinders

I have to admit trying to teach Kindergartners last week with the impending holidays was like Sisyphus rolling that rock uphill every day! :) Their minds were definitely not on learning and it was very hard to follow a regular schedule with parent activities and program practices. But I tried really hard to still do meaningful activities with them.

Every year instead of making resolutions, I choose One Little Word that I will focus my energy on incorporating more. I have chosen the words: grace, peace, joy in the past. I'm still deciding what my word will be this year, but I do have a pretty good idea of what I will make it. I knew it would be challenging but I asked my students to do the same. I had them sound out their word and then draw a picture of why they chose that word. Here's what they came up with:

Clean


Eating lunch-I know 2 words! :) But this little one is such a picky eater and rarely actually eats at lunchtime-so she definitely came up with something she can work on.




Good as in being good is what she told me.


This says "I'm going to bring the buddy home every day"-we have stuffed animals that go home with students who have a really good day.



I actually really liked both the illustration here and that "friendship" was his choice. This is a student who is known for saying mean things to his friends-so maybe him choosing this work is a really good thing!


Happy Family-I LOVE this illustration. I'm pretty sure the kid is in the middle.



So I was not disappointed. I think it's hard to come up with one word to sum up your resolutions and even harder for a 5 year old to do it.








6 comments :

  1. I do this every year. My kids will be choosing their words this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great way for the kiddos to visualize their goals. It surprises me how hard that is for them.

      Delete
  2. Would you mind sharing how you introduced this idea to your Kindy friends? Thanks!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them a story about resolutions and then we just went from there. I shared with them an example of what my word was but told them they had to choose something else. I've seen it done where the teacher gives them words they can choose from as well. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete